Thursday, February 25, 2010

Visit to #UCDavis Bohart Museum of Entomology

For those of you who know me, and for those of you who do not, you may not know that I am generally a fanatic about bugs.  And in this case, I do not mean microbes (which I also love).  I mean insects and their relatives.  So it was with great pleasure that yesterday I finally got to go to the UC Davis Bohart Museum of Entomology.  I have been meaning to go for a while but it just never happened.  And then, a graduate student in my lab, Lizzy Wilbanks, asked for suggestions for activities that might be interesting to do with Jared Leadbetter who was the speaker the Microbiology Graduate Students were hosting here at Davis.  Now, I know Leadbetter a tiny bit and know that he really likes bugs too (both kinds ...).  So I suggested - why not see if you can get a tour of the museum. And like magic, Lizzy arranged it.  Any yesterday, Marc Facciotti and I took Leadbetter over the the museum after he had lunch with students.  And it was very cool.

I will try to write up more about the museum at a later point but here are some pictures.



For details on Leadbetter's talk see my Friendfeed posts below:

1 comment:

  1. I am deeply envious. When I was a kid, the first job I "wanted to be when I grew up" was entomologist. I often think I should have looked harder for molecular entomology opportunities out of college, since way back then it was a nascent field...

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...