Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Call me a curmudgeon but I do not do "reciprocal links" on my blog

Arrg.  I am so sick of getting emails from people hawking some blog site saying "We like your blog ... if you link to us we will link to you."  Here is an examply I just got
Saw the “The Tree of Life” blog and thought it was great. I wanted to introduce our blog to you. The XXX Blog (http://www.XXXX.com/blog/) has been created as a place where blah blah blah. Would you be interested in reciprocal linking? We will link to you on the XXX Blog http://www.xxxx.com/blog/ and our other blog the xxxxx http://xxx.wordpress.com/. If you are interested feel free to contact us xxx@xxxx.com .
Here is another one:
Greetings:      
My latest site is dedicated to xxxxx. If you would like to exchange links I would be more than happy to trade my link in exchange for a reciprocal link on your site. If you agree, please place my link: 
TEXT: xxxx                       
URL: http://www.xxxx.com
Desc. (optional): The top xxxx xxx xxx for your xxx xxx. .  
Send link placement and your link information to wrap up the exchange
Thanks  
I am sorry but I put up links that I find interesting.  And I do not post links in exchange for others posting links to me.  Am I somehow missing out on something?  I know people are trying to game google hits but I want nothing to do with it.

8 comments:

  1. I totally just got both those e-mails. I don't feel nearly as special as I did a minute ago. Not that I was going to do the link-sharing thing, but I liked to think the offer only applied to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap. Now I don't feel special either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get about half a dozen of these per day. I send them to Spam folder automatically, without opening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but if I did that Bora then I would have to have something intelligent to blog about

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the same one (1st one) too; didn't get the second. You all are clearly more special than me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's one thing when they comment and put their links on one of your posts, but this is totally absurd!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel quite meek as I do not get these emails. Maybe you can forward them to me.

    Seriously though, how tacky. Whatever happened to nice, subtle, social networking. (Ok, now can you add me to your blogroll?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh - I just got another one - this one even weirder

    "Hi,

    I saw your recent post Funny Mobio ad "No microbe will be left
    unsequenced" #DNA #genomics. We have several fresh and unique articles
    on science fair. Would you be interested in re-publishing them on your
    site? You can adapt them as you see fit.

    Also, we are about to launch an invitation-only community for
    webmasters with promising content-oriented websites.

    Your website, http://phylogenomics.blogspot.com/, meets our quality
    criteria, so please let me know if you'd like an invitation. The
    membership is free, but only top-notch sites are allowed.

    What's in it for you:

    - Placement in an exclusive "Best of Content-Oriented Web sites" directory.
    - Free content for your site, written around your topics by our
    in-house writers.
    - Promotion of your site across our networks of 1,000's of blogs.
    - Marketing tools developed exclusively for our members to help you
    drive more traffic.
    - Expert advice on search engine optimization (SEO), content
    development, monetization, conversions, etc. to make the most of what
    you've got.
    - Participation in our community support forums.
    - ...and more.

    Please note that none of these benefits are available to non-members.
    So, if any of the above appeals to you, please let me know.

    Looking forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...