Sunday, April 06, 2008

Tree of Life Art

As someone who studies the "Tree of Life" in terms of evolution (the tree of life is an evolutionary tree relating all life forms) and who even named his blog after this, I am fascinated by different portrayals of the Tree of Life. We can see lots of things like the Tree of Life in the real word. Much of this is due to the use of the Tree of Life imagery by various religious groups. Some of it is more connected to evolution in some way. But whatever the inspiration, there are some pretty nice representations out there. And I am posting one of them today. At UC Davis the UC Davis Arboretum is a really spectacular place. I go walking there all the time and take my kids to play there and watch the ducks and other animals. One day, I was walking near some gardens that they have been renovating for a while, when I saw they had unveiled some new artwork.

Below are some pictures of this artwork.  I am going to start posting more "Tree of Life" art here in the future and would love to get examples from people out there too.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the UC Davis Arboretum. I had a walk around it last week when I was visiting Davis. Seeing all the greenery was wonderful, as everything is still pretty dead/brown in Chicago. We've just had a our first few days of spring this weekend.
    I'd spotted the tree of life on my walk. The beige toilet doors are a bit weird, but otherwise it's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not want to say anything about it being an outhouse. Could give too many ideas to the intelligent design crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I thought the men and womens doors on either side of the tree of life/knowledge was bit 'adam and eve'-ish ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, you know, I like the Gustav Klimt Tree of Life

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...